Sunday, June 24, 2012

Staying in Christchurch a new experience...

Shortly after 6pm I boarded my flight bound for the Garden City - Christchurch. I was on my way to an ALIM seminar that will be held overv2 days. It was a great flight as I was able to reminisce over old times with my friend whom I will call Miss Hayes. Laughter amidst the jokes was a sure way to make the time fly. As fast as a bullet we landed in Christchurch around 8pm. We walked down a long skinny tunnel like a walk way...hearing the odd bing bong over the loud speaker. Now it was time to meet our corporate taxi driver, collect our bags and head to our hotel - Chateau on the Park. We were greeted by friendly staff to check in before receiving our keys for the room that will be mine for 2 nights. As we walked towards the lift, right before us were steel poles supporting the ceiling to the second floor. Hardboard reinforced windows where there once was glass and uneven ground with safety cones to warn us not to trip. What will the night ahead bring as I sleep in this building damaged by a monster of an earthquake in the recent past?

1 comment:

  1. Mrs Rolton,
    I really like the way that you have used language features to add impact to your recount. I like the simile that you used and the onomatopoeia 'bing, bong.' I thought that saying the earthquake was a monster was a really good way to illustrate the damage it has done. I hope you had a safe night under all that re-inforcing! I bet you're glad there were no shakes last night!
    From Miss Irvine

    ReplyDelete